Tuesday 11 January 2011

A Personal Legacy?

Quite recently I used Internet-based information to trace my paternal ancestors. I found this very rewarding and was able to go back as far as my great-great-great-great grandfather Lewis Lyons born in East-London in1747. I also discovered that my great-great-grandfather and Lewis's grandson, John Lyons, was killed in a street accident just off the Mile-End Road. He was run over by a horse-drawn van carrying ginger-beer. Fascinating. Tragic.

How I wish I knew more about them; how they lived, how they looked and what they thought. It occurs to me that if I keep up this blog and, assuming it continues to be supported by Google or its successors, then it will provide a reasonable picture of how John Jacob Lyons (b.1938) thought about the world around him. I can only hope that this may be of interest to someone; possibly someone interested in their own genealogy and reading these, my words, at some future time.

No comments:

Post a Comment